11.30.2005

The grand experiment

A several years ago I subscribed to Martha Stuart Living. With my first subscription I recieved a cookie press. It's sat in a box in the cabinet over the fridge since then. It's not that I have a thing against cookie presses. It's that I can't reach anything over the fridge easily enough to motivate me to attempt such a feat. When the cookie press found a home up there it entered the black hole of my kitchen.

I put Meg down for her nap and was greeted by a chipper young man announcing he had a great idea.

"I know! Let's make cookies!" he said, still trying to work his away around the roadblock I threw him when he wanted a cookie to eat - simply, we don't have any in the house.

I asked him what kind he wanted to make. He threw out some ideas:

Vanilla? - "You mean sugar cookies?" I said. "That dough needs to rest overnight we couldn't make them until you got home from school tomorrow if we made that dough and besides we don't have all the ingredients."

Chocolate chip! - "Honey, we need to go food shopping remember. I don't have chips."

Peanut butter?! - I almost gave in on that one. Yes, I love a good peanut butter cookie. My challenge? Megan loves to nibble at the cookies Logan bakes. And at one year old, she's still on the parental imposed peanut ban. I wasn't sure I wanted to lay the temptation before her when we were short so many other options in the house.

I pulled up FoodTV's web site to hunt for some ideas. I found the cookie press receipe. Cookie Press. Hmmm, I have one of those, maybe, I think, hidden somewhere.

I found it.

And now we will attempt it. The directions to work this contraption don't seem as easy now that I really want to use it. I'm fearing one of those messes you get when you try to push Play-Dough though a cheap generic dough squishing toy.

Wish us luck.

No comments: