11.12.2004

Kick in the pants please

Once upon a time I wrote a few articles for a magazine and got paid to do it. This is what allows me to say "I'm a full-time mom, a part-time marketing consultant AND a freelance writer" when folks ask me about my day job. I wrote, but then I got lazy about pitching because I was looking to avoid deadlines around Meggie's arrival and those subsusquent sleep deprived nights.

Yet now she sleeps decently and I'm still not pitching. Why? Its easy:

a) I'm lazy and don't take the time it takes to research, compose and draft a good pitch because I'd rather use my precious moments of "me" time doing something silly like blog surfing, email responding or yes, I admit it, watching sometime like The Apprentice and (don't think less of me) Charmed.

b) The time I *do* get on the PC recently has been dedicated to the other half of my income and trust me when I say, it sucks up a lot of my energy and time.

c) I'm feeling chicken.

Yes, chicken. You know, I felt great when I got those assignments. I felt paranoid when I finally submitted them and then elated when the editor didn't write me back saying "Geez, you call yourself a writer? What's this drivel?!" I was ecstatic when the magazine showed up in my mailbox with my article mentioned on its cover - both times!

But (yes always a but) that was then and this is now. I've not pitched anything in months and I feel that old lack of confidence riding high. I don't take the time to pitch because I am just too chicken to do it.

Someone just find my cyber butt and kick it hard. Please and Thank you.

1 comment:

Toni said...

I'll share one of my favorite quotes:

"The only way out is through."

Write, write, and write some more. You can't be rejected if you don't write, true. But neither can you be accepted, either. You've got the goods, now use 'em! Okay, now write me back and say the same stuff to me!