8.27.2004

19

The little due date calculator thingy says there are 19 days left to the baby's due date. 19. Just those two little numbers. One. Nine. That seems alternately a very long time or a blink of an eye to get to a date that most likely means nothing. I really don't put much stock in due dates actually meaning much of anything in terms of "arrival times." Its like that range those pesky contractors and repairmen like to give us around here. "Sometime between 8 am and noon we'll be out to see you." And they stroll in at 12:15pm all proud that they've not been more late than that despite the fact you actually made the effort to have non-PJ, clean clothes on your body by 7:30 am that morning.

19 days.

I've taken to using the easy way out when people ask me 'how much longer.' I just smile and reply "Oh, any day now." Its true really - at just over 37 weeks we're a whisper away from full-term (being completion of 37 weeks) and so this chid could in theory arrive any time between now and September 30th. The end of Sept being when the doctor would induce me as overdue. I just like to ignore the fact that I could be pregnant for another month+.

19 days.

What I find remarkable is the range of comments a pregnant body can render. Within an hour of each other one person that sees me often looked at me and said "You dropped a bit didn't you?" and another person that rarely sees me said "Oh, you've got plenty of time, you're still carrying high." The high thing I find amusing actually since this child has been carried much lower than her brother from the get go of those "showing" days. I mentioned this to person #2 and she said "Yeah, but you're not real low yet." To which I wanted to protest (but didn't) "Well, maybe but your mother dresses you funny."

19 days.

No comments: